Saturday, July 16, 2011

Cancer Support & Survivor Blog Hop


Hi Everyone!  Thank you for stopping by today for Erica's My Cricut Craft Room Cancer Support and Survivors blog hop.  I'm honored and excited to be participating in this hop and while I gratefully have not experienced cancer first or really even second hand, I felt that I had an interesting and relevant story to share that speaks to cancer patients and anyone who is dealing with a long term chronic illness.

Today's project is about Spoons.  Yes, spoons.  And I'm sure you are already thinking what on EARTH do SPOONS have anything to do with Cancer?  Well, nothing really, and everything all at the same time.  

First, I would like to share my card.  It was made using DCWV and Recollections papers, and just the spoons from the knife-fork-spoon set in the Disney Dreams Come True cartridge (supplied to me by the fabulous Charlotte Cornett).  The pink photo corners are from Heritage.  The sentiment inside says "Wishing you a day filled with spoons!"



Ok so... spoons?  Whats the deal?  Read on to find out.  : )

Shortly after the birth of my son, I was stricken with severe joint pain that was so bad and throughout my entire body and got worse by the day.  It got the the point where getting out of bed was a significant accomplishment and it would take me 15 minutes + just to gently walk down the stairs.  I couldn't care for my newborn, I couldn't care for myself, and worse, no one knew what was wrong with me.  It took some time, but eventually I received a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I was 31.  31!!!!!!  And I have severe arthritis???  You are kidding me.  So I started to research - a LOT, and found a ton of support online for those suffering with a large variety of auto immune diseases.

A reference to spoons was CONSTANT, people wishing each other spoons, talking about spoons, wearing spoon t-shirts...  so I looked into what they were talking about, and found this wonderful story about The Spoon Theory.  It's one woman's explanation to her friends about how she deals day-to-day with having a chronic illness.  I think the story is wonderful, and I thought that this was a neat opportunity to share it with others who may not have heard it.  Click here to read the full story of the Spoon Theory.

Thank you for stopping by today!  Please let me know what you think!  While this is the end of the blog hop, make sure that you have checked out everyone in the line up!   Here is the entire list:



29 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, thanks for the opportunity to join in this amazing blog hop. I have had arthritis in a few of my joints since the age of 25 and have never heard about the Spoon Theory. So after hopping over the next few pages I will be back to have a read of the story. Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE what you did with the spoons!!! Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW fabulous card and thanks for sharing the story on the spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super fab card, and i love your story! I'm truly sorry you have to deal with such a horrible painful decease. Thanks for sharing hon, Have a scrappy day~
    Scrappingmamma ~ ustoleit@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and such an interesting story about the spoons! TFS!
    Jill
    http://craftwithanangel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great card. I also just read the spoon theory. what a great way to help others know what its like to be dealing with something.
    tfs sharing both your card and the link to that theory.
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm on my way to read the spoon theory. im so sorry you have to suffer. i know this pain all too well, but it didnt reach me until my later years. hopefully they'll come up with a cure soon. great card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never look at a 'spoon' in the same way after seeing your card and reading the meaning behind it. Your card is very lovely and truly meaningful in a personal way. I'm so glad that I stopped by to visit you today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to end the blog hop!!! I will share the sppons with my husband. I love this, thank you so much for sharing and being a part of this! I also have RA, celiac disease and crohns disease. So somedays I wake up with only 8 spoons. I have a 3 years old so I choose my sppons very carefully! I am going to share this again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how do I thank you for sharing this. My Grandmother had Lupus and passed away when I was 6. Even tho I cant recall a lot of my memories with her I do recall her being sick and laying in the bed for 3 days before all of my school field trips. Then after the trip she would have to lay in bed for rest for days on end and couldn't move. After reading this its opened my eyes on how it really is for some one whom is sick. I have never really thought about it. But knowing from a child and reading this has really helped me under stand how hard it was to enjoy one day with me and what all she had to do to just enjoy it. Thank you so much for sharing this. <3 God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharring the spoon story. I have pains that flair and let me know that today is going to be a little more difficult than others, but I always tell myself taht their are plenty of others that have it worse than me and I have no right to complain. Your story and the spoons confirms that. I'm so glad that I was able to be a part of this hop with you and the others. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spoons it is. Thanks for sharing your story and your very creative design theme. Best.

    http://blog.neatthings-boutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card and thanks so much for re-posting the Spoon Theory. I read the story quite a while ago and it's always great to be reminded of how lucky I am to be healthy. TFS and have a wonderful weekend. Aloha, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwe how beautiful. you done an awesome job. I have an auto immune disease ( lupus family) it effects every part of my life. I love your card & story. your be in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card! Kudos to Charlotte for helping you with your project! Sometimes being the healthy person witnessing a loved one with a debilitating disease can be very hard...and I think being able to understand them better is the best thing we can do for them. Wonderful story...wishing you many spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your story, your heart and your card with us. Wishing you many spoons everyday and may those who surround you be more understand. Your card is beautiful and appreciated.
    vandyzfam at sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a great story abut the spoons. Love the card too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your story and he spoon theory.I love your card.
    http://lindascraftcorner.blogspot.com
    iko dot linda at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just want to say thank you for sharing that story with us. I have Fibromyalgia and I know how hard it is for me on certain days so I can only imagine what you must go through. That story really touched my heart and made me want to share it with others. Your card is gorgeous! Here is wishing you many extra spoons!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your story. I can't even imagine what it must take for you to function some days. Thank you for sharing this project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read the whole story! Thank you for sharing! You are courageous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. great card! Now I am headed to ready the spoon story. My mom just finished up her year of chemo. I have a lot of cancer awareness items I've made on my blog if you want to check it out: deasdoodles.blogspot.com (it's new so I would love for you to go take a peek!)
    TFS and making me curious about the spoons LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great card,great blog,joydee1963 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the card and on my way to read the story!! Thanks for sharing both!!

    vick6740@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great card and such a touching and inspiring story. It brought tears to my eyes because it made me think of my sister who died from stage 4 breast cancer a little over a year ago and my father, who passed on a in 2004 and my other sister who was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and is struggling right now to get it under control. This really sheds a light on how it must feel to deal with a debilitating disease and even though I have always tried to be supportive and understanding of their plights, it has truly put things in perspective and given me a whole new understanding of their daily lives. Thank you!

    Anniebee
    anniebeescraftroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a very touching story and explained in a way that most people can theoretically understand what it is like for people who are counting their spoons.. Love your card..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the preaty card and a story with a message that most of can or know someone to share it with. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks so much for sharing this story about the spoons. I just finished 6 months of chemo for a type of chronic leukemia. I so understand the story and I lived it. I have more spoons now, but still sometimes I don't have enough spoons to finish out a day! I remember in May, I wanted to go shopping, so I felt good, got a shower, got dressed, did my hair and walked downstairs. sat down to put on my shoes and I was exhausted!! I went back upstairs and took a nice long nap!!! so much for that day's shopping! thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete