Saturday, July 30, 2011

Erica's Cricut Craft Room Scrapbook Saturday

The project I would like to share with you all today for Scrapbook Saturday is an ABC book I created for my niece, Cameron.  I had an idea a few years ago when my son was looking at a photo album and said "Daddy" for the first time while pointing to his daddy's picture.  What a great way for toddlers to learn names and faces!  I knew I wanted to make a book that had something to do with that.  Then I got the Create A Critter cartridge and the whole idea came together.


The full idea is to make an ABC book using pictures of the faces that the baby sees the most (immediate family, close friends, day care provider, pets, etc) to illustrate the letters.  To make the book fun, I filled in the gaps with letter-matching Create A Critters.  Because I wanted Cameron to USE this book, I laminated the pages so that she couldn't harm anything.

I decided to make the cover of the book by using ModPodge and DCWV paper over chip board.  Colorful ribbon covers the binder circles. 

Front Cover
Apple, Alligator, Beach, Balboa, Bob

Cameron, Cappy, Cow, Dog, Daddy

Elephant, Egg, Frog, Fish, Fran

Grandparents


Hannah, 4 Generations Hands Picture, Hippo, Ice Cream, Igloo

Jellyfish, Koala, Kent, La-La, Ladybug

Mommy, Monkey, Melissa, Mary Beth, Night, Owl

Pool, Pop-Pop, Pig, Queen, Racoon, Rusty

Sue, Shannon, Swing, Snow, Sled, Tree, Tom, Trent, Turtle, Umbrella

VERY AWESOME Aunt Heather (me!), Volcano, Whale, Witch, XOXO, Yarn, Ya-Ya

Zipper, Zebra

Back Cover
As a side note - Create A Critters are FUN and ADDICTING!  But they take a lot of time.  I have found that it is better to make 3 or four of the same animal at a time knowing I will use them again.  Making 1 takes 15 minutes.  Making 5 takes 20...

Hope you enjoyed this project - please let me know what you think!  Happy Scrapping!

5 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I had in mind to do with Create A Critter for my grandson. Wonderful project Heather! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome project! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this project! When I was a kid, my mom had a big spiral notebook for my brother and me. Each page was a letter, and she'd cut out things from magazines and catalogs that started with that specific letter. She did a new smaller and portable book for my younger brother when he was born (14 years difference, so the pictures were definitely different by then, so a new one was made). Using the Cricut is such a great idea! I agree with what you said about it being easier to do a bunch at once. For a while, I started cutting everything out in 3's. Now I'm starting on some mass production, and the other day I cut out 12 cakes! It gets a little tedious putting them together, but it's fine if there's fun music or a DVD on!

    ReplyDelete